Built at the innermost point of the Pagasetic Gulf and at the foot of Mount Pilio or Pelion (the land of the Centaurs), Volos the only outlet towards the sea from Thessaly, the country's largest agricultural region. With a population of around 85,000 it is an important industrial centre, while its port provides a bridge between Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Volos is the third of the major commercial ports of Greece, but also gains much traffic because it is connected by ferries as well as by hydrofoils with the nearby Sporades Islands, which includes Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos. Moreover there are connections to Limnos, Lesvos, Chios and Skyros.
Volos is the most recent Of the Greek port cities, with a remarkably large proportion of modern buildings, erected in the wake of the catastrophic earthquakes of 1955. It includes the Municipalities of Volos, Nea Ionia and Iolkos, as well as smaller suburban communities. The economy of the city is based on manufacturing, trade, services and tourism. It is a city full of energy, equipped with contemporary infrastructures. Home to the University of Thessaly, one of the most important of the country, it has all the necessary facilities in terms of accommodation and organization of conferences, exhibitions and major cultural and scientific events not to mention its international-level sporting amenities.
Volos participated at the Olympic Games and as an Olympic City it acquired international experience and together with the other Olympic Cities it defined worldwide the new face of contemporary Greece. Noteworthy is the continuous athletic events that the city held like the European Gymnastics Championship in 2006 and the World Pool Championship. Volos today represents Greece as the candidate city for the Mediterranean Games of 2013. 
Hotels and lodgingEdit
If you are traveling from another continent, such as the United States, there are many stores that you have probably not seen before. For example, in the United States, there isn't any Bershka or Pull and Bear. Additionally, there are also international stores like Mango and Zara. There are also many shoe stores in Volos with a wide selection of shoes. Stores usually open early in the morning and in the late afternoon. During the afternoon hours, most of the stores close.
Maps and transportationEdit
Getting to VolosEdit
The good thing about Volos is that you can get there easily. If you're in Athens, you can simply take a bus from the bus station to Volos. Prices vary between one way and return tickets (there are also regular, direct, and express tickets). Additionally, you can take the train from Athens to Volos which is also a good option. Furthermore, if you are already at an island and want to go to Volos, you can easily take a boat to Volos depending where you are. Lastly, if you have a car that you rented at the airport, then you can drive there.
Practical information and resourcesEdit
Volos specializes in "Tsipouradika" (Greek Τσιπουράδικα) (also called "Ouzeri" (Greek Ουζερί)) where ("Tsipouro") (local Greek spirit) is served with a huge variety of tidbits. There are plenty of "tsipouradika" along the waterfront near the port. Cheaper choices can be found in Nea Ionia area.
The choices for eating are Tsipouradika (Τσιπουράδικα or Ουζερί) where seafood is served, Taverns (Ταβέρνα) where mostly meat dishes are served, Restaurants (Εστιατόριο) where Greek dishes can be found (there are Italian and Chinese restaurants also), Psistaries (Ψησταριά) (Grill houses) where the main dish is grilled meat, Fast Food choices are local Souvlatzidika (Οβελιστήριο or Σουβλατζίδικο) where souvlaki is served, and typical fast food chains such as Goody's and Everest.
People in Greece usually eats late in the evening (21:00 - 24:00), during day most of Taverns, Psistaries and Restaurants are closed. However Tsipouradika and Fast Food are open all day long.
Restaurants (Εστιατόριο) and Taverns (Ταβέρνα)Edit
- Tsardakas (Τσαρδακάς) (Tavern), Kiprou str (Κύπρου)
- Sogno di Sol (Italian restaurant),Ferron str (Φερρών), Palea district phone +30 2421032690, Italian style pitsas and pasta. (Evening only)
- La Marimba (Mexican restaurant), Nikotsara str 46 (Νικοτσάρα), phone +30 2421071167, Romantic tone, has a wonderful courtyard with a lot of tries. Delicious foods, great cocktails, nice music and a friendly service. It is recommended to book ahead during peak hours (21:00 - 24:00) (Evening only) They have a nice site: www.marimba.gr
Tsipouradika (Τσιπουράδικα or Ουζερί)Edit
Most of tsiouradika have a fixed price for tsipouro with tidbit, they price may vary from 3€ - 3,5€ per 25cl, usually it's the same price in every tsipouradiko. The difference in price comes when ordering extra dishes. Tidbit vary from tsipouradiko to tsipouradiko also, some serve one tidbit per 25cl, while some in the center serve one tidbit per 50cl of tsipouro. Tsipouro cames also as bottled or unbottled in bottles of 25cl, bottled is 0,5€ more expensive but the standard quality may worth it.
- Volos (Βόλος) (Tsipouradiko), Argonafton str (Αργοναυτών), Seafood. At the waterfront. 25cl tsipouro with tidbit 3€, 25cl bottled tsipouro with tidbit 3,5€, serves 3 tidbits per 4x25cl. </eat>
Psistaries (Ψησταριά) (Grill houses)Edit
Psistaries serve mostly meat, salads and fried potatoes. The meat usually is ordered by weight, and the price is per kilo also. One portion is 330gr of grilled meat.
Winter bars, pubs and clubs, usually close down during summer. Most of them have a different facility for the summer, usually by the sea.
All year roundEdit
- PocoPico Tiny budget choice. Beer 2.5€, Spirits 4-5€.
- Posh, Papakyriazi (Παπακυριαζή) 38, Palea district, Electronic music. Beer 3€, Spirits 7€.
- Spitaki, Ogl (Όγλ), Rock music. Beer 3€, Spirits 6€.
Downtown choices are:
- Liogerma (Λιόγερμα), Close to Agios Konstantinos church. Spacious, nice sea and Volos view. Beer 4€, Spirits 7€.
Other choices are:
- Anemos (Άνεμος), in Soutrali, Agria 5 km from Volos. Small venue, on a jetty with lovely view of Volos. Beer 3€, Spirits 6€.
- Layal, in Soutrali, Agria 5 km from Volos. Beer 5€, Spirits 7.5€-8.5€.
- Rivera, in Kato Gatzea 15 km from Volos. A little far from Volos, but excellent summer choice which gathers many people from Volos. Open all day, by the sea, popular for swimming also. There is a dinner section. Beer 4€, Spirits 7€.
|Add a new photo to the Volos gallery. Vote on which images to feature in the featured images forum.|
|Got something to say that doesn't fit in the other sections of this page? Add it here!|
In the summer, it gets very hot in Volos so many people close their shops in the afternoon because that's the time when the temperature is at its' highest. People eat dinner late at night and gather with friends. Many of the restaurants and cafes are located at the port of Volos (which is really a long strip of land down the ocean).
For swimming, you can either walk or take a car, depending on where you want to go. Kato Gatzea has nice beaches that aren't overly crowded and Rivera is nice if you want to go for a quick swim and then drink a frappe or Epsa under the shade.
Add links to other sites here