Wikia Travel ProjectEdit
Hi, I have just finished the first draft of a Guide to Designing, Producing and Publishing Audio Tours. This is a non profit community based effort and is offered under Creative Commons. How would you like me to publish it and where? It is a 40+ page handbook with links to Open Source software for editing and image manipulation. Please email me at npjrogers(at)btinternet.com and i will send a copy
Hi, I'd like to contribute what I can to Wisconsin. I was wondering if there was a particular page or pages that would serve as a good example of how you do things around here. Thanks! --StBacchus 10:13, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
- San Francisco is quite a good example. But don't feel you need to be restricted to making the Wisconsin page exactly like that. The World Wikia is still new and we're completely open to new ideas about how to do things, so if you have a better idea, feel free to experiment with the format of your page. Angela talk 10:29, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
Addresses and descriptions of hotelsEdit
I am just about to create the page about Maiori. Considering that I already inserted all hotels in Yellowikis - well not all have a category, but they will have it soon. So, to my opinion it would make sense to just name the hotels and add a link to their homepage + their page on Yellowikis. The same is valid for Restaurants etc. Well, I'd like to know your opinion about this. Another project of mine is to create a streetmap on OpenStretMaps.org, together with more detailed maps of single monuments. Of course all this takes time and since we can only care up to a certain point about things I would prefer to avoid repetitive work. --SabineCretella 18:04, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
Coordinating between Related WikiaEdit
This Travel Wikia, the Cities Wikia and the Local Wikia have the potential for complementing each other or creating unnecessary duplication and work. I'd like to start a discussion about ways to coordinate. Anyone interested? Where should we continue the conversation? I think the Central Wikia would be most appropriate. --CocoaZen 03:38, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
We need more cool pictures.Edit
Where should the main page pictures take you?Edit
The pix on the WorldWiki main page link to an image page for that picture (as seems to be the standard). I'd like to have them link to the guide about that city. So the Venice image would link to Venice and not to the image page. I feel this will do a better job of drawing people into a wiki. Thoughts? -- BillK (talk) 23:49, 9 August 2006 (UTC)
- I think that clicking on images always takes you to the image page, unfortunately. Maybe a wiki-format expert knows different, but that's the best I've always been able to figure. -- Danny (talk) 01:31, 10 August 2006 (UTC)
What's our name?Edit
- I agree - it's more than travel, it's what to wear, where to go, how to do research and more. [Gil] ([talk]) 00:13, 9 August 2006 (UTC)
Alt Main PageEdit
The center column of text in the first box was very narrow and long on my screen. I also wanted a box for new or "hot" links. See Main Page/alt. What do you think? --CocoaZen 21:50, 7 August 2006 (UTC)
- I'm afraid Wikitravel is about 17,000 articles ahead of you. Is duplicating like this really necessary, since Wikitravel also uses a copyleft Creative Commons license? WikiTravel:User:Jpatokal
- But, seriously, do you have a less flippant answer? Why should I contribute to World Wikia instead of Wikitravel? WikiTravel:User:Jpatokal
- Now that I think about it, I do. I don't know if these are the answers that the founders have, but here they are.
- One difference is that this wiki is part of Wikia, so it's connected to a whole group of contributors working on other projects. It'll bring in different people, and make different connections.
- The other answer is that if you're happy at Wikitravel, then you should contribute to Wikitravel. It's not important whether this is the "biggest" travel wiki. World Wiki and Wikitravel are both going to develop and grow, based on how they're set up, and the contributors they attract.
- Maybe one of them will thrive, and the other one won't -- or maybe they'll both turn out to be great. We don't need to create a false competition between them. They'll both play out organically, and we'll see what happens. I have high hopes for both of them. -- Danny (talk) 14:50, 8 August 2006 (UTC)
You might have noticed a new feature called 'Wikia Spotlight' above the ads. We are featuring eight wikis here to see whether this is useful in bringing in new users. The World Wikia is one of the first ones to be shown in this feature, and I'd appreciate your feedback at Wikia:Forum:Wikia Spotlight about whether you think this is useful, and whether it has brought any new users to your wiki. The eight wikis we're trying this with first are World Wikia, Marvel Universe, Halopedia, Cell Phone Enthusiasts, iPod, PokerWiki, The Film Guide, and RuneScapeWiki. Angela (talk) 13:53, 3 September 2006 (UTC)
I happen to be top contributor at wikiHow, and one of my specialities is finding and adding suitable pictures to articles. I also do editing, of course. If I can be of help here, please let me know. I also have recently joined Travelwiki, and I can see where this can be different and yet the same as that one. Check me out at wikiHow, and see if you want me to assist in anyway.
While I am not leaving wikiHow, as I think that it is one of the best wiki's, and its more than a wiki, its a community, I do have time to work on more than one site.
Sondra C 17:27, 1 August 2007 (UTC)
World Wikia in other languagesEdit
Does it exist World Wikia in other languages? Maybe in French?
I'm interested in launch it but I'll couldn't make this alone... Some other French World Wikia's fan want to help me?
--Cywil 14:21, 9 January 2009 (UTC)
- Hi Cywil. There isn't a French one yet, but it would be great to have one. How about starting it and then calling for help from the other French wikis - I'm sure you could find some people with a bit of promotion. Angela (talk) 02:12, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
The WMF is looking at starting a travel wikiEdit
How do I do the map of the world with navigations? I've got a site that is kind of similar to this site (except for my site is called "Traveling". That was an accident because I didn't know this site was here!) Anyway, can someone teach me how to create that huge world map with navigations? Thanks! --Shiqiansoh (talk) 12:03, August 25, 2012 (UTC)