It is the county seat of Santa Barbara County, California. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 92,325. The metropolitan area—which includes the cities of Goleta and Carpinteria; the unincorporated communities of Montecito, Summerland, Isla Vista, and Hope Ranch; and adjacent areas—has a population of approximately 200,000.
Hotels and lodgingEdit
- Stearns Wharf – Adjacent to Santa Barbara Harbor, features shops, several restaurants, and the newly rebuilt Ty Warner Sea Center.
- Rafael Gonzalez House – Adobe residence of the alcalde of Santa Barbara in the 1820s, and a National Historic Landmark.
- Santa Barbara's Moreton Bay Fig Tree – a giant Moreton Bay Fig, Template:Convert tall, which has one of the largest total shaded areas of any tree in North America
- Burton Mound – on Mason Street at Burton Circle, this mound is thought to be the Chumash village of Syujton, recorded by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo in 1542, and again by Fr. Crespí and Portolá in 1769. (California Historical Landmark No. 306)
- De La Guerra Plaza (Casa de la Guerra) – Site of the first City Hall, and still the center of the city's administration. (California Historical Landmark No. 307) Also the location of the Santa Barbara News Press.
- Covarrubias Adobe – Built in 1817; adjacent to the Santa Barbara Historical Museum on Santa Barbara Street. (California Historical Landmark No. 308)
- Hastings Adobe – Built in 1854, partially from material recovered from the wreck of the S.S. Winfield Scott. (California Historical Landmark No. 559)
- Hill-Carrillo Adobe – Built in 1825 by Daniel A. Hill for his wife Rafaela L. Ortega y Olivera; currently at 11 E. Carrillo St.
- Cold Spring Tavern
- El Paseo Shopping Mall – California's first shopping center.
- Santa Barbara Zoo
- Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary
- Channel Islands National Park
Maps and transportationEdit
Getting to Santa BarbaraEdit
Exploring Santa BarbaraEdit
Practical information and resourcesEdit
|Add a new photo to the photo gallery. Vote on which images to feature in the featured images forum.|
|Got something to say that doesn't fit in the other sections of this page? Add it here!|
Add links to other sites here