Sacramento is the capital of the U.S. state of California and the county seat of Sacramento County, California. It is the 6th largest city in California. It was founded in December, 1848 by John Sutter. Sacramento grew from Sutter's Fort, which was established by Sutter in 1839, and the city is now a quickly growing metropolis. During the gold rush, Sacramento was a major distribution point, a commercial and agricultural center, and a terminus for wagon trains, stagecoaches, riverboats, the telegraph, the Pony Express and the First Transcontinental Railroad. Edit this section or read more
Hotels and lodgingEdit
- Old Sacramento State Historic Park is located within the Old Sacramento Historic District of Sacramento, California. It is generally referred to as Old Sacramento, or Old Sac, and since the 1960s has been restored and developed as a significant tourist attraction.
Sacramento has several major museums and "Museum Day" is held once per year.
- Crocker Art Museum is the oldest public art museum west of the Mississippi River.
- Governor's Mansion State Historic Park a large Victorian Mansion which was home to 13 of California's Governors.
- Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park which was completely restored in 2006, serves as the State's official address for diplomatic and business receptions. Guided public tours are available.
- The California Museum for History, Women, and the Arts home of the California Hall of Fame.
- California State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento has historical exhibits and live steam locomotives that patrons may ride.
- The California Automobile Museum filled with automotive history and vehicles from 1880 to 2006 and is the oldest non-profit automotive museum in the West.
- Sacramento History Museum in the heart of Old Sacramento, focuses on the history of Sacramento from the region's pre-Gold Rush history through the present day.
Maps and transportationEdit
Getting to SacramentoEdit
Practical information and resourcesEdit
* Sacramento Community Family Resources - Online directory for all things Parenting, Family and Emergency resources including shelters and food closet.
- Sacramento Resort Life - Vacation guide to local resorts, attractions, festivals and outdoor fun.
|Add a new photo to the photo gallery. Vote on which images to feature in the featured images forum.|
|Got something to say that doesn't fit in the other sections of this page? Add it here!|
Add links to other sites here