Mukteswar is one of the theme destinations of India, a place nestled in the majestic Himalayas. Mukteswar is located at an altitude of around 800 ft (2,285 m) is a quite place in the Indian state of Uttaranchal in the upper regions of the Kumaon Hills. The place, located in the Nainital district of Uttaranchal, is set in the backdrop of the Nanda Devi, the highest Himalayan peak of the region.
Hotels and lodging
- Mukteshwar Temple: the temple is at a height of around 2,300 m and you have to climb the stone steps to reach the temple precincts. Once you are at the top, a spectacle of beautiful Himalayan canvass would greet you and you shall forget the toil of the steep climb. The temple has a lingam idol of Shiva surrounded by idols of six gods and goddesses (of Hindus), Bramha, Vishnu, Parvati, Hanuman, Ganesh and Nandi surrounding the lingam.
- Chauli ka Jali is a natural lattice work around a rock adjacent to the Mukteshwar Temple.
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute has an in-house museum and is a premier institute devoted to the research related to veterinary science. Permission is required to visit the institute, which is generally granted. You may have long strolls inside the campus of the institute just for a change.
Maps and transportation
Getting to Mukteswar
You have to reach Mukteswar by roads: It is 350 km From Delhi via Nainital and the journey by bus or taxi shall take around 8–10 hours depending on the traffic and the weather. Nainital is around 53 km and Haldwani around 49 km. The nearest railhead, Kathgodam, is around 72 km.
Practical information and resources
- Currency: Rupee (INR) (One US $ is around 45 INR)
- Time zone: IST (UTC+5:30)
- Languages: Hindi and local dialects. You may manage with Simple English.
- Language Tips:
|Phrase in English||Phrase in Hindi|
|How are you?||Aap kaise hain?|
|Nice to meet you?||Aapse milke khushi hui?|
|What is the price?||Kya daam hai?|
|Add a new photo to the photo gallery. Vote on which images to feature in the featured images forum.|
|Got something to say that doesn't fit in the other sections of this page? Add it here!|
Add links to other sites here
- Mukteswar Temple - Pictures of Mukteswar Temple