Mathura, located 50 km north of Agra and 150 km south of Delhi, is one of the seven holiest cities for the Hindus. It is an ancient city and presently the headquarters of the Mathura District, Uttar Pradesh state, India. The city had a glorious past and the city and its hinterlands had remained associated with many incidents and stories as narrated in the Mahabharata, one of the largest and ancient epics. The historical facts indicate that Mathura was located on the caravan routes and was also a center of commercial activities.
Hotels and lodgingEdit
- Best Western Radha Ashok
- Masani Bypass Road, Mathura, India
The antiquity of the city of Mathura gives it a unique charm of its own. While moving from one place to other in and around Mathura, you shall find the mystical and devotional side of India unfolding before you. You shall find 1000s of devotees from many parts of India who come here to have a glimpse of the eternal lover and yogi, Krishna, an incarnation of Vishnu, one of the gods of the Hindus. Some major points in Mathurs are:
- Shri Krishna Janma Bhumi, the place where people believe that Krishna was born.
- Jama Masjid of Mathura, a mosque built in 1661 by Abo-in Nabir-Khan. It is a massive structure with four minarets.
- Vishram Ghat, on the bank of the Yamuna River, where Krishna is believed to have taken rest after killing the tyrant king of Mathura, Kansha.
- Dwarakadheesh Temple, literally meaning a temple dedicated to the king of Dwarika (Dwarakadheesh being a euphemism for Krishan, who ruled Dwarika, on the western coast of India), was built in 1814. It is the main temple of Mathura.
- Gita Mandir is also a temple and is situated on the outskirts of the city. The temple is famous for its engravings and paintings on the walls.
- Government Museum is located near Dampier Park, and has many collections of archeological interests from the period 400 BC until 1200 AD.
- Around Mathura
There are many places of tourist and religious interest around Mathura:
Maps and transportationEdit
Getting to MathuraEdit
Unless you want to partake into the festivities mostly of religious nature, you may take a day trip to Mathura and nearby places like Vrindavan from Delhi by road.
Practical information and resourcesEdit
- Currency: Rupee (INR)
- Time zone: IST (UTC+5:30)
- Language: Hindi. But, you may mange with Simple English.
- Language Tips:
|Phrase in English||Phrase in Hindi|
|How are you?||Aap kaise hain?|
|Nice to meet you?||Aapse milke khushi hui?|
|What is the price?||Kya daam hai?|
|Add a new photo to the photo gallery. Vote on which images to feature in the featured images forum.|
|Got something to say that doesn't fit in the other sections of this page? Add it here!|
Add links to other sites here