Manhattan is one of the five boroghs in New York City. Manhattan had many historical events:
- 1609:Henry Hudson discovered Manhattan Island.
- 1625:New Amsterdam was founded.
- 1664:The English rename New Amsterdam "New York" after the Duke of York.
- 1788-1790:New York City was the capitol of the United States.
- 1790:George Washington was inaugurated as the first U.S. President on April 30.
- 1810:New York City surpassed Philadelphia as the largest city in the U.S.
- 1858:Central Park opens to the public.
- 1883:The Brooklyn Bridge opens.
- 1886:Dedication of the Statue of Liberty on October 28.
- 1904:The New York City Subway opens.
- 1929:The stock market crashes beginning the Great Depression.
- 1930:The Chrysler Building is completed as the world's tallest building.
- 1931:The Empire State Building is completed as the world's tallest building.
- 1945:The United Nations is established.
- 1972:The World Trade Center is completed as the world's tallest building.
- 1993:The World Trade Center Bombing tried to bring towers 1&2 down but failed. 6 people were killed and 1,042 people were injured.
- 2001:Two airliners crashed and destroyed the World Trade Center. Both towers.
Manhattan has numerous neighborhoods within the three main sections:Uptown, Midtown,and Downtown. It has many islands too.
It has a humid subtropical climate with an average high of 62F and an average low of 47F.